I highlighted some interesting things about the deal that everyone should think about and what it would mean:
1) the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel’s Cinematic Universe – What exactly do they mean by the new Spider-Man? Is Andrew Garfield out of the picture? Well Garfield has proved to be a beloved Spider-Man despite the negativity The Amazing Spider-Man 2 received. However, since Marvel is now involved they might want to recast the leading role to someone of their choosing. But who knows maybe Sony likes Garfield as well but I wouldn’t be upset if he gets recast by Marvel. They haven’t had a leading cast wrong yet. There could also be a new costume design and changes to the Spidey mechanics. Something else to noticed is that the new Spider-Man will show up first in a Marvel movie. The obvious choice for most fans is Captain America 3: Civil War and looking at the timing of the movies Marvel plan to release it seems like a pretty good bet.
2) release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017 – This is an easy one. SPIDER-MAN movie in 2 years! THIS IS AWESOME! Ok now that I got the fan boy part out let see how this impact the cinematic universe for both companies. Marvel just added an unexpected (or expected) project on their already full plate. This means they’ll have to shuffle some of their previously announced movies to make room for the new Spider-Man film. As for Sony, does this mean we will not be getting the Venom, Sinister Six, and female lead movie they planned for us? Most likely not but who knows.
3) Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films – Well this maybe the hiccup in the deal. Sony has final say on what gets put into the movies. Hopefully Marvel and Sony can get along just well or Sony can easily change any part of the films they don’t like. I will go on good faith that Sony will let Marvel implement the major changes without disagreement.
4) Marvel and Sony Pictures are also exploring opportunities to integrate characters from the MCU into future Spider-Man films – This is huge! This means that Marvel character library is open to join any Spider-Man films. We can being seeing Ant-Man or Black Cat team up or the appearance of new characters like Silk into the films. Even a different Goblin such as Hobgoblin. My hope is for a clone like Ben or Kaine. If you need clone saga ideas Marvel I am here all day call me! Either way it is exciting to see that any Marvel character can join Spider-Man.
5) Can Fox be next? – Fox has the X-Men and Fantastic Four licenses and they have had a steady ride with the X-men film but their Fantastic Four films has not had the best reception. A new Fantastic Four films is slated to be released later this year, If the movie does not perform it might give Fox more incentive to hear out what Marvel can offer. Marvel would love to get to play with the X-Men in the MCU but with their push to bring the Inhumans into the spotlight they might not need the Mutant race in their universe. But I am sure that Marvel wouldn’t mind borrowing Wolverine.
Stay tune for more Marvel cinematic news here.